Best Government Listing for Small Business

By: Admin | Date: 2020-07-27

Best Government Listing for Small Business

There are two main places federal employees can do market research to find solutions for their missions. They are the GSA Schedule System and Sam.gov (The System of Award Management). Comparing the two systems demonstrates how the GSA Schedule System has tremendous advantages over sam.gov. These reasons are the reasons why small businesses that are GSA Schedule holders have much greater success than those small businesses that only have a sam.gov listing.

GSA Schedule Advantages

Sam.gov GSA Schedule
Number of Vendors 500,000+ 19,000
Market Research Process Step 1: Perform a search for firms in a given industry by NAICS code.
Step 2: Cross reference the resulting firm’s capabilities statements to determine if that firm provides the product or service required.
Step 3: Contact firm to obtain pricing on their product or service.
Step 4: Determine if the firm can take a Federal SmartPay Credit Card.
Step 5: Place the order
Step 1: Type the product or service keyword into the search bar and press enter.
Step 2: Review Pricing for applicable items.
Step 3: Order Online.
Obtaining a price quote Call or email sam.gov Registrant and ask for a quote. Pricing is provided for the listed item.
Quality of product or service Firm has not been vetted by anyone within the Federal government. Must ask for and call references GSA calls references as part of the process of obtaining a GSA Schedule
Size of Purchases Generally is limited to the Micro-Purchase Threshold of $10,000 Generally follows the Simplified Acquisition Threshold of $250,000, but can be for larger amounts.
Federal Vendor Small Business Sales > $100K
(sam.gov listing only no other certification or contracting vehicle
$1MM
Flexibility None Provided Only 51% of items in a given order must be purchased directly off the small businesses GSA Schedule, the other 49% can be purchased at the same time through Open Market Items.

Sam.gov Advantages

Sam.gov GSA Schedule
Timeframe to Obtain this Listing (approximated) 1 week 4-6 months
Book Free Consultation WEBINAR